On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:23:14AM +0100, Samuel Penn wrote:
> I'm in the process of building a new home server, and rather
> than go down the route of having each service (mail, IM, web etc)
> use it's own user directory was thinking of using OpenLDAP.
>
> However, I can't find any easy way of setting up and configuring
> OpenLDAP as a simple user directory. Does anyone know of any
> good tools that will allow this?
>
> What I really want to be able to do, is simply do the equivalent
> of "useradd fred ..." in OpenLDAP, without having to worry about
> LDAP schemas and the like. I don't mind configuring the server
> initially, but want the user management procedures themselves
> (add/list/delete/edit) to be nice and simple.
>
> I'm on Gentoo, would prefer a command line interface but if it
> is a GUI tool then KDE would be preferred.

   There's a package called "cpu" (available in Debian) that I've used
in the past for doing basic user/group administration on the command
line. I also put together a couple of scripts for changing passwords
(for users, and the sysadmin).

   Hugo.

--
=== Hugo Mills: h...@... carfax.org.uk | darksatanic.net | lug.org.uk ===
      --- Try everything once,  except incest and folk-dancing. ---