On 25/10/09 10:23, Samuel Penn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the process of building a new home server, and rather
> than go down the route of having each service (mail, IM, web etc)
> use it's own user directory was thinking of using OpenLDAP.

Are these services running on multiple hosts, or on your new server?
If not, what do you see as the advantages of using a centralised
directory service like LDAP?

> However, I can't find any easy way of setting up and configuring
> OpenLDAP as a simple user directory. Does anyone know of any
> good tools that will allow this?

What do you mean by a 'simple' user directory?
Which information would you like to  store about users?

Just Authentication/Authorisation? (shadow/passwd/group)?

or other info too? (addressbooks, maildrop etc etc)

> What I really want to be able to do, is simply do the equivalent
> of "useradd fred ..." in OpenLDAP, without having to worry about
> LDAP schemas and the like. I don't mind configuring the server
> initially, but want the user management procedures themselves
> (add/list/delete/edit) to be nice and simple.

This "just"** needs scripting.
python, perl (or even shell for that matter) can do these things to
pretty much any standards-compliant LDAP directory server.

> I'm on Gentoo, would prefer a command line interface but if it
> is a GUI tool then KDE would be preferred.

Not precisely on gentoo, but open source (and therefore perfectly feasible)

http://www.freeipa.org

Is actually kerberos/LDAP, but does provide nice commandline tools for
managing users and services.

If you just want an easy-to-use LDAP directory, then...
http://directory.fedoraproject.org

Stuart

** :)
--