Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I need some advice on video editing software for Linux.   Can anybody
> recommend a good package?   I think I've spoken before on this list
> about a huge library of VHS I'm getting digitised.   Thankfully I've
> now managed to find a working solution.   Sadly it's not Linux based
> but I'm ending up with several 8Gb mpgs that I need to edit.
>
> The problem is simple - and will be all too familiar to those of us
> who used VHS: tracking.
> I have a small horizontal line at the bottom of the screen where the
> image is "skewed" for want of a better word.   I've tried
> unsuccessfully to fix the tracking and handle it within the capture
> software.   No dice.   So what I need is to crop the image.   I've
> only ever used Windows movie maker so I'm a bit green here but I'd
> much rather play with something recommended than go through what is
> probably a maze of software - I had enough trouble of that nature
> trying to rip a DVD!!!
>
> Cheers
> Rob
kdenlive (http://www.kdenlive.org/) has a crop effect - I've used this
tool with success previously, though like most Linux based video editors
it's prone to crashing, or was last time I looked. It does protect
against losing edits when it crashes though, so it's not as bad as it
first sounds. The learning curve is less steep than Cinelerra, and it
has far more functionality than Kino. There's also a feature on
DVDStyler in this month's LXF Mag, which I haven't got around to reading
yet though.