Hiya Rob,
On Sunday 10 January 2010 20:22:10 Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Do any of us have ipods?   If so, has anyone found any decent music library
> software for them? I migrated from a 20Gb IRiver to an 80Gb Apple ipod last
> year and in that time my 8500 40 odd Gb library has caused me no end of
> problems with itunes running under windows.   This gives me 2 options:
>
> 1) The baby and the bathwater - get a new mp3 player and say farewell to
> apple and M$.   In theory (cash permitting) I have no problem with this
> but... 2) I quite like the ipod itself (touch wood) I've had very little
> trouble with it.   It's the software that's the problem.   For example, you
> would think "import library" would be a pretty simple thing.   In my case,
> for no apparent reason, it stops at 3300 songs.
>
> So if anyone knows of any better software - open source, bleeding edge,
> Linux or Windows - I'm not too worried - I just want it to do what itunes
> is supposed to do (which might be a pipe dream as I suspect the ipod is
> close source under the bonnet) - I'd love to hear from you.

I used gtkpod to move my 20GB of music onto my iPod Video (5.5G) but now use
amarok 1.4.10  (I'm still on KDE3) to manage my music. As you have a largish
library(more than 10GB), I'd recommend using the MySQL backend for amarok
because otherwise importing your library into amarok will take hours/days!

> Cheers
> Rob

Cheers,
 Steve