2010/1/14 Stephen Pelc <step...@mpeforth.com>:
> <rant>
> Linux is getting more like Windows. A development box was
> upgraded from Kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10, and now our rpm packaging
> scripts are broken.
>
> Packaging under Linux is a complete shambles. We haven't
> had packaging issues for Windows software for over ten years.
> The idea that you have to ship separate packages for deb32,
> deb64, rpm32, rpm64 and a tarball is complete insanity. If we
> cannot get this sorted out to a reliable solution, we'll just go
> back to shipping tarballs and bunch of shell scripts.
> </rant>
>
> We need help. We provide some of the best and strongest coffee
> in Southampton. There's even a limited amount of payment
> available. Documentation is mandatory.
>
> Stephen
> --

You are probably approaching this problem from the wrong end.
Think more about how a Linux user would like to install your software,
and then fit in with that.
An ubuntu user will just want to go to the "Software install" tool,
click on the software name, and having it automatically install.
At the command line, this is aptitude.
They just want to do
aptitude install mpeforth

To package up the mpeforth for ubuntu probably requires one to have
compiled it on the correct version of ubuntu due to different versions
of libs existing on different versions of distribution. So, I suspect
you will have to have one .deb for ubuntu 9.04, and a different one
for ubuntu 9.10.

So, for example, have one virtual machine for each distro and a
"configure; make dist" on the source for each of your distros, and you
will then have all the package files you need.

Another alternative is to just publish the source package, and let
each distro package it up themselves.
Much less work for you, much easier for them.

It is much the same with windows. Creating a package for windows 95,
or Windows 7 is likely to be different.

Kind Regards

James