Daniel Pope wrote:
> On 03/02/10 21:28, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> People frequently confuse SPF for some kind of anti-spam magic bullet.
>
> I'm not confused about that. I'm specifically seeing an increase in bounces
> returned to me of spam e-mail I haven't sent, which is what has brought it to
> mind.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

Diving in on this one without really understanding the background to the
problem ... I don't run mail-servers, so this post may be useless, be
warned in advance ...  *is* useless, if you manage mail servers for
third parties!  ...  All that said ...

I used to have to deal with this issue of people sending spam, spoofed
to have come from my professional address.  Only ever send out digitally
signed email, and put a notice on your website to that effect - that any
non-digitally signed email can be ignored/reported as SPAM.  Obviously
you need to publish you public key, so persons can verify signatures.

The above approach stopped virtually all people writing to me along the
lines of 'why are you sending me SPAM'; a start, at least.  Hopefully
some did of course, forward on the SPAM to relevant agencies. :/

I did say this might not be solving the problem you have!  But I thought
as this spoofing is a big problem generally, others might be interested,
especially if coming under serious 'attack' with this problem - as the
volume of 'angry inbound' can be totally overwhelming/impossible to deal
with in any sensible on-to-one reply, basis, when the SPAMMER is sending
out 100,000's of emails an hour.  The link I used was 'SPAM note' or
some such; it did get clicked quite a bit, so I guessed, possibly
wrongly, that it had some desired effect.  The only real down-side to
this approach is that you may not now become aware that the SPAMMER is
out there, using your domain, etc, for their nefarious purposes.  Though
keeping an eye on the SPAM note hits, of course, gives one some
generally idea when it's kicked off (again!)! <g>

Best,

LL