Daniel Pope wrote:
> On 03/02/10 21:28, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
>> People frequently confuse SPF for some kind of anti-spam magic bullet.
>
> I'm not confused about that. I'm specifically seeing an increase in bounces
> returned to me of spam e-mail I haven't sent, which is what has brought it to
> mind.

SPF is just a tool with a specific purpose - it helps to stop people
from adding a fake address - it helps stop joe-jobs.

The advantage of SPF is that it is cheap and simple - but is used a lot by
spammers
however I do see a lot of spammers still trying to use faked MAIL From and
getting
rejected because of SPF so it does do what it was supposed to.

We have SPF configured at work and we still get joe-jobs - I now blacklist the
muppets
who send the NDRs to me.

Our actual mail volumes are less than three digits per day but junk volumes
(including the blocked stuff) is regulary in the 30K mark so anything I do cut
stop the trash with no side effects is seen as a good thing.

Jacqui