On 4 March 2010 12:48, Hugo Mills <h...@carfax.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 11:51:40AM +0000, Lisi wrote:
>> I have been asked to recommend a laptop to replace a 3 year old and ailing HP
>> running XP, and to fit the following brief:
>>
>> Must be durable
>> Must not run Windows (specifically mentioned as acceptable were MAC OS and
>> Linux)
>> Budget c. £800/£900 (that is based on the cost of a suitable MAC)
>
>   What degree of "durable" do you need?
>
>   If it's "the owner will be dropping it off a table onto a quarry
> tile floor on a daily basis", then I'd suggest that the budget isn't
> quite up to it, and you need something like the Toughbook.
>
>   If it's "the build quality is pretty good, and it'll survive being
> stuffed into a bag with light padding, hoofed around all over the
> place, and fumbled occasionally", then in the past I've been happy
> with a Dell Latitude. Dell also occasionally sell machines with Linux

I have had a couple of Panasonic ToughBooks, bought used from eBay. I
love the CF-T2 that has been my only laptop for several years. It's
"semi-rugged", i.e. not one of those you can drop and leave sitting
running in a puddle (though a colleague has one of those and swears by
it), but it has been up and down the M3 in a backpack on a motorbike
many times and I've never had a hardware problem with it. Panasonics
are certainly expensive if you get them new, and probably outside your
budget, but if a used machine was acceptable (*) then I'd say go for
one of them.
(*) and bear in mind that on older machines the CPU / memory may not
be up to the 'requirements' of some of today's applications.