On Thursday 04 March 2010 18:16:19 Victor Churchill wrote:
> On 4 March 2010 17:18, Bob Dunlop <bob.dun...@xyzzy.org.uk> wrote:
> >> That would be a 'yes' I think, or perhaps a grand old git (paving the
> >> way for great grand old gits later in the thread who would need to
> >> demonstrate their skills in hand-punching paper tape bootstrap
> >> programs)
> >
> > Not a bootstrap but I can remember splicing paper tapes to make
> > corrections in the middle of an image rather than repunching the whole
> > thing, and that was paid for work not a university project.
> >
> > At uni I used teletypes on a regular basis and punch card machines on
> > occasion (they were phased out in my second year).
>
> First job at IBM had punch cards.

Mine too - tho' not at IBM.  I do _just about_ remember, Victor.  Tho' I'm not
too sure that I remember what happened yesterday.  ;-)

We had to carry data in Securicor vans on the motorway from the various sites
to HQ, so that the punch card room could punch the data up and computer
operators could feed it into the one enormous machine .....

Lisi