On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:36:28 +0000
Paul Tansom <p...@aptanet.com> wrote:

> I can't for the life of me think whether it was pre-SMTP being
> de-facto, but I do remember the fun of setting up special addresses
> on the IBM gateway at work to route internet addressed email into my
> IBM Profs/Office Vision account. This was all doubly interesting when
> combined with the requirement to do a similar process to get email
> out of IBM through one gateway and then into Hampshire County Council
> via their gateway. An interesting challenge in sending mails with
> specially calculated addresses to get things set up and then using
> another address to email through once it was, but it worked. Of
> course this was all done so I could send email from my work to my mum
> at work, as well as for the challenge of whether I could set it up ;)
> That said, once I had it was used for legitimate work purposes, so it
> was purely in the spirit of testing :)

A problem I never did solve before I retired was how to get a
dial-up modem on a PC in my office to talk to a dial-up modem in a PC
in another town so we could transfer files between the two PCs. The
software I was using (a WordPerfect product) was supposed to allow this
but I couldn't get it to work and I eventually ran out of time.

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid