On Thursday 08 April 2010 11:11:01 John Cooper wrote:
> On 08/04/10 09:23, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've recently started having problems with my CUPS setup, and I'm
> > somewhat unsure what has gone wrong and why, so suggestions on how
> > best to troubleshoot (or even better, fix) greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I have CUPS setup on a server to print to a network printer. I
> > can print a test page from the CUPS web interface and that works
> > just fine. However, none of the printers appear in any printing
> > dialogs (e.g. KDE or Acrobat).
> >
> > If I start up a CUPS instance on a different machine, that picks
> > up the printer since it's being successfully shared from the
> > original server. They also now appear in the print dialogs but
> > attempts to print to them go nowhere. They don't appear in the
> > job list on the main server, but do appear in the job list on
> > the second CUPS server (but never start printing).
> >
> > Desktop and servers are running Gentoo. The CUPS server is
> > installed into a vserver.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Just double check the "Server" settings on the Administration page.
>
> https://127.0.0.1:631/admin

My server is headless, but I can see this via:

https://192.168.161.102:631/admin/

> My ticked sections marked as a "x" here :-
> x Show printers shared by other systems
> x Share printers connected to this system
>          Allow printing from the Internet
>  Allow remote administration
>  Use Kerberos authentication (FAQ)
> x Allow users to cancel any job (not just their own)
>  Save debugging information for troubleshooting

Allow remote administration and allow printer from the internet
are both on (the latter whilst desperately trying anything to
get it to work).

> Another test is to try to go to the server from your client PC
>
> https://your_server_ip:631/printers
>
> as they must be able to see this to print.

>From my desktop I can this and even go to:

https://192.168.161.102:631/printers/XeroxDuplex

And print a test page, and this works just fine.

Printing from an application from the same desktop doesn't work
however since I can't even see the printers listed.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): s...@glendale.org.uk