I have found something kind of similar in Ubu 10.04 (on a rather
low-memory Panasonic (768MB):
1. Start Chromium browser
2. Open 'a few' tabs and surf about a bit
3. Eventually it's as if some threshold is exceeded and the system
load average starts ramping up, often to between 5 and 10. I either
have to leave the computer alone till it settles down again or kill
the main chromium process.
4. Looking with 'top' or 'htop' does not really reveal what's going on.

Are there kernel related processes that do not show up in the ?top
lists? Swap-related stuff? Clive, could you be bumping into a memory
ceiling?