My icybox died recently and I've just replaced it with a Netgear readynas duo 2110 1GB disc* . It runs Debian Sarge. I am really pleased with it. Very easy to configure through the web interface, but it also has a Linux application on the CD.

I tried to change the NFS mount from v3 to v4 but it would not mount, "operation not permitted".

sudo mount -t nfs4 -o rw,hard,intr,bg backupserver:/ /archive

After adding the SSH addon (see below) and logging on, I had to add "fsid=0" to /etc/exports

"/backup" *(fsid=0,insecure,insecure_locks,rw,async)

which defines the NFS v4 pseudo-filesystem root (only define one at the top level). You then only need to mount the root "backupserver:/" in v4, which in my config actually mounts the NAS /backup directory.

I was pleased to find it can run as an iscsi target too. It also has links to the SSH .bin install file to get SSH access.
http://readynasfreeware.org/projects/nas-iscsi-target/wiki/New_Version

After installing I could not get a response when trying to initiate to the server

iscsiadm -m discovery -t st -p backupserver --discover

The rc start/stop script /etc/init.d/rfw-iscsi-target needed the OPTIONS set to the config path "-c /etc/ietd.conf", which it should use by default. It also didn't stop the ietd process so fixed that too.

#!/bin/sh
#
# chkconfig: - 39 35
# debianized start-stop script

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/ietd
OPTIONS="-c /etc/ietd.conf"
PIDFILE=/var/run/iscsi_trgt.pid

if [ -f /lib/init/vars.sh ]; then
    . /lib/init/vars.sh
fi

if [ -f /lib/lsb/init-functions ]; then
    . /lib/lsb/init-functions
fi

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/iscsi-target ]; then
    . /etc/sysconfig/iscsi-target
fi

RETVAL=0

ietd_start()
{
    log_daemon_msg "Starting iSCSI Target" "ietd"
    modprobe -q crc32c
    modprobe iscsi_trgt
    start-stop-daemon --start --exec $DAEMON -- $OPTIONS
    PID=`pidof ietd`
        echo "$PID" > $PIDFILE
    log_end_msg $?
}

ietd_stop()
{
    log_daemon_msg "Stopping iSCSI Target" "ietd"
    ietadm --op delete
        echo " Removing PID"
        if [ -r $PIDFILE ]
    then
        cat $PIDFILE
    start-stop-daemon --stop --exec $DAEMON --pidfile $PIDFILE
    rm -f $PIDFILE
    else
    pkill ietd
    fi
    log_end_msg $?
}

ietd_status()
{
    PID=`pidof ietd`
    if [ $PID ]; then
        echo "iSCSI Target (pid $PID) is running..."
    else
        echo "iSCSI Target is stopped."
        exit 1
    fi
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        ietd_start
        ;;
  stop)
        ietd_stop
        ;;
  restart)
        ietd_stop
    sleep 1
    ietd_start
        ;;
  status)
    ietd_status
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit 0

*Novatech £180 with an offer for a free second 1GB disc from Netgear. I also purchased a new intel i3 laptop with no OS, saving £80 M$ tax.