On Friday 29 October 2010 11:36:02 Stuart Sears wrote:
> It is technically correct (or at least an acknowledged use)
> see references above... :)

I stand corrected - but still shudder!  Sorry, Keith.

> Next up, some of my personal bugbears...
>
> fewer vs less (Tesco etc, sort yourselves out)

Ouch!

> I vs Me (he vs him, who vs whom etc etc)

Hear, hear.

> what exactly do we teach children in school these days?

Sadly, not much when it comes to English, grammar, syntax, spelling...   Even
in our more expensive and  élite schools.  "Lots of people have dyslexia, so
they don't worry about mistakes."  And the "IT" is worrying.  "You can't
expect students" (note: these were in the upper sixth) "to know about .rtf
and .docx." :-(

Our village primary purports to teach them, but even the teachers get it
wrong.  (E.g. in a spelling list that our granddaughter brought home one day
to learn, <overy>.  I sent a note with her the next day saying that I had
taken the liberty of correcting the typo, but I don't for one minute believe
it was a typo.)  The standards appalled me - and this is a school that gets
very good Ofsted reports.

Lisi