On 07/11/10 10:40, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Alternatively you could ask the University to fix the problem for you. I
> believe that under the disability act they are required to make reasonable
> adaptations to accommodate your son's disability.

He's done very nicely out of the Disabled Student's Allowance, with a
new laptop, mouse, keyboard, monitor plus Windows 7 and MS Office
bells-and-whistles edition, all warranteed and insured for the next
three years. They have also provided a mobility scooter and various
other allowances to compensate for the difficulties he has in getting
around on his sticks while carrying stuff.

> The only problem I can see is that if you ask for wifi and they tell you it's
> banned you can't claim you didn't know it wasn't allowed if you go DIY.
>
> Before you do anything I would have a look at the rules to see if it is
> naughty, see if anyone else is doing it and take precautions like turning off
> the SSID broadcast on the AP and using dd-wrt's "MAC address clone" function
> to clone the MAC address of the wired Ethernet port on your son's laptop in
> case they scan the network looking for unauthorised APs.

Good point, although I can't see they'd enforce a ban wireless
connectivity under these specific circumstances, i.e. a locked down
connection between a single machine and wireless access point. I
generally use WPA + mac address filtering and disabled SSID broadcast,
which I know isn't a guarantee of security but should keep out all but
the most determined intruder. As for checking the rules I think I'll
suck it and see, and if anyone does start walking the halls with a
scanner and subsequently complains, I'll pick it up from there.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk