> My brain's a bit fuzzier than usual this morning, but am I right in
thinking I could buy a cheaper wireless modem and configure it solely as
an access point, i.e. leaving the modem component unconfigured?

Yes.

Get an el-cheapo wireless router. Ignore the ADSL port (it'll flash a
light at you, but who cares?). Connect one of the ethernet sockets to your
connection, and set the wifi up as you want it to be.

This is how I run my wifi network - the router is connected to a dedicated
network card on my server, which runs an aggressive set of firewall rules
on that interface. I am ignoring most of its capability - it has become no
more than a bridge.

Vic.