Hello Mike

Most interested in your multi-personality computer as I, a newcomer to Linux of only a few weeks, am still having difficulty with editing web-size movies with all the Linux video-editing programs I've tried. (It's the only facility I seem to have lost!) I used to use Windows Movie Maker regularly with great success, but have now abandoned Windoze XP Pro completely. Would your amazing system allow me to use Movie Maker on my Ubuntu 10.10 machine, do you think?
How might I set that up?

Tony Wood
Farnborough, Hampshire

On 02/03/11 12:39, Mike Austin wrote:

>>How are you running Outlook 2007, I do not understand? Using Crossover or Wine or what?<<

I have used WINE but Crossover is worth paying for, as a contribution is made to the WINE project. I have tested all the possible Linux email clients, but none of them matches Outlook for my needs. One aspect I particularly like is the single .pst file which I keep in Dropbox. This enables me to switch computers and carry on using my Outlook once Dropbox has synchronised my .pst file. As an example, I have just rebooted my desktop into XP as I need to run a windows application that will not run in Crossover. This time I am posting this from Outlook 2007 in XP.

The only slight drawback is copying and pasting text between a Linux app and a Windows app running in Crossover – you have to keep both apps open or you lose the clipboard.

I run several MSW apps in Crossover as the Linux equivalents do not suit my needs e.g. Quicken 2004. I also run IE7 which I need for a few sites, as IE Tab for Firefox does not work in Linux.

I have recently returned to living in the UK – Port Solent - and will get to a meeting when the ski season finishes. Incidentally, I am the founder of http://groups.google.com/group/*pc-answers* <http://groups.google.com/group/pc-answers> which has a worldwide membership of 110. However, most of the members are MSW users while a few of us also use Linux and Mac OSX. One members runs a Hackintosh - non Apple hardware but Mac OSX.

I run a dual boot of XP and Macbuntu on my Macbook Pro notebook. One member suggested that my Macbook has an identity crisis!

Mike