On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 17:14 +0000, Vic wrote:
> > If it were software RAID is it possible to boot from such a system?
> > Does /boot not have to be a file-system which can be read by GRUB?
>
> GRUB can boot from a software RAID-1. I often set it up so.
>
> The difficulty is going to be in keeping the two s/w RAID systems apart.
> I'd do that by partitioning the disks manually before applying any RAID
> setup, then do each RAID entirely separately.
>
> Windows has some strange (and apparently secret) rules about what it will
> and will not do with different sorts of disk setups. You probably won't
> hit any, but be prepared for pain if you do. parted and friends won't
> touch anything but simple Windows partitions...

Just my 2 cents but it sounds like you are going down a dangerous path,
is the Windows software raid implementation exactly the same as the
Linux one. Is there potential to trash your GB's of data.

http://www.amamax.com/am96saharaco11.html

There is always hardware raid, if you don't mind spending a couple of
quid, then it's just one big disk. Of course you've also got to buy a
battery backup system in case of power failure...

Forgive my un-usefulness, I have more questions than answers.

Bryan