On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:21:53 +0000
Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net> wrote:

> John asked me off-list how to add a new entry. It wasn't immediately
> obvious to me that he'd asked this originally, but now I read again
> I suppose "so I can edit" implies needing to go the other way too.
>
> I'd do something like piping what I wanted to encode through:

<lots snipped here>

> Perhaps that would be useful in not disturbing your editing flow.
>
> If you don't do this sort of thing a lot then you could just search
> the web for any of what must be thousands of online "convert to
> numeric html entities" web forms, e.g.:
>
> http://www.texaswebdevelopers.com/examples/xmlentities/xml_entities.asp

Thanks Andy,

I don't suppose I'll get lots of requests all at once but I could since
people now know the site now has a new "webmaster" and may take
advantage of it.

I will be editing the file via ssh and using vim (since that is
the only unix editor I know anything about) so your bits of perl code
should solve my problem.

I'll practice on my test system here before trying it on 'real' files!

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid