On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:36:44 +0000
Simon Reap <si...@simonreap.com> wrote:

> On 22/03/2011 16:19, john lewis wrote:
> > I am having to re-create my Startx website as it had been
> > compromised recently.
> >
> > I have copied the website files from my local system to the remote
> > system but am not sure what the ownership settings should be.
> >

> It looks as though it is specifically title_fr.html which is the
> problem
> - text_fr and navigation_fr.html are both visible.  Is the spelling
> of the filename exactly right?
>
> Also, I'm a bit surprised to see your frameset commands outside the

I simply copied the files from a CD supplied by the original site owner
to my local test server and it works on that server. I'd had it working
on the original startx but copied all the files I wanted to re-use
to a backup directory then scp'd that directory to my local server
before destroying the original VPS

Once I had the new VPS running I scp'd the backup directory back to
startx but it looks like that file didn't get copied over as doing an ls
on contents of "startx/var/www/Kingsclere/History" reveals that file is
missing.

I scp'd the missing file to startx and the page loaded but it looks
like other files are missing so I need to recopy the lot I think.

No idea why this happened, I'd used "scp -r ~/backup ....." to copy the
files to the new VPS.

I didn't design the website and don't know what WYSIWG app, if any, was
used to design it, but it was almost certainly done on a windows
system. So cannot comment on why it is set up the way it is ;-)

As for Daniel's comments on using /var/www for the content of my
websites I though that was the preferred place for them and where I
have put them in the past.

The only variation on using /var/www came about when I set up Gallery2
and then it was suggested not using that location for the images so

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid