On 22/03/11 20:08, bryan hunt wrote:
Please don't
:-/

I just get tired of these topics coming up again and again....

The scenario is somewhat along these lines.

"I want to make money from selling open source software to a business".

"I'll make the profit from doing so".

"I'd appreciate if you could write a business proposal so I don't have
to do so myself".

"I also can't be bothered searching on Google for some suitable
marketing drivel".

So how is it that one sells a complicated proposition to people who only
want functionality?

Linux is a tinkerers OS.

That's fine.

I like it, you like it and they probably like it.

Do normal people like it?

Probably only if they suffer from severe social maladjustment.

Do normal people care about it?

Only if it gets them free functionality without either having to pay
anything for the privilege or being inconvenienced.

So the question goes around, and around, and around.

And it comes down to the decision making process.

Look the individual straight in the eye.

A good firm handshake is key.

"Yes that feature will appear in version 11"

Sold.

A very outdated and narrow minded view. The actual reality is Linux is used everywhere and with the minimum amount of tinkering. It offers more than most closed source because it is current and flexible. The amount of money I see wasted by companies buying proprietary "it will be available in version 11" software is appalling. The last one you could have paid for 5 good engineers to work full time on a OSS equivalent just in the yearly license costs.

> Look the individual straight in the eye.
... and realise you are being shafted and there is nothing you can do about it because you are already too far down the line to backout. Just the like MOD paying £4 billion for two new Nimrods, when a space shuttle cost £1.7 billion, and to make it worse, they will probably never see service.

I'm asked to provide a solution, I install Centos, add the package, connect to LDAP/AD or whatever and hand it over. Minimal fuss, it is completely reliable and everyone is happy.

I like GM's response to another outdated and narrow minded viewed person

http://www.wussu.com/humour/gm.htm

John.