On Tue, 2011-03-22 at 15:28 +0000, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 at 09:59:48AM +0000, bryan hunt wrote:
> >
> > > there is no catch.
> >
> > There is a catch.
> >
> > For any business critical system running on an open source platform -
> > you will need skilled practitioners to run it.
>
> Any system will need skills to use, open or closed. It is a lie to
> say that because one uses a "familiar" GUI it requires no skill
> and that another that uses an "unfriendly" CLI it requires a
> skilled expert.
>
> Now I would argue that less skill is required to configure a
> Linux/open system rather than a cmparable Windows/closed system,
> but that does not mean than no skill is required.

Ah the bitter-sweet irony. Dr A. J. Trickett.

I may call you Dr?

The Dr returns from a hard days labouring in the local BMW dealership,
slouches down at the table and looks for the 'start menu' on the screen
of his Sony, 'made for Windows 7', laptop.

But there is no start menu. The screen is black. Apart from green text.
All the words look like gibberish.

Scary words.

Words like 'grep', lots of things about 'man', even worse 'fgrep'.

Perhaps some of them are obscenities? Who knows what they mean?

"Have I been hacked"? He muses.

"Or have I hacked the Pentagon"?. He re-muses. "Worse still".

He does not understand.

If he types the wrong thing will it be like 'War Games'?

Will strange men follow him around in unmarked vans?

His heart palpitates, sweat forms on his brow, his eyes bulge as his
pupils dilate with fear.

BUT THEN!

A small, ferret-like man with a WILD BEARD jumps out from the sink and
starts gibbering about digital rights and revolution and how this is the
one true way.

But the Dr only wants to read the Sun and check out the football
results.

To be continued.....