Paul

Just a word of warning...

My last work laptop was a Dell D620 which experienced what sounds like
identical charging problems to yours, but in that case I borrowed a known
good working battery from a colleague and found that it too would not
recharge - the only conclusion therefore was a fault on the motherboard or
charging circuit.

Unfortunately, unless the battery has charge status LEDs on it, there's
probably little else you can do but try a new one... good luck with that
anyway.

Peter