Does your laptop power supply have a centre small pin ??

If it does it might be like a couple of Dell's I've looked at. If the centre pin doesn't make contact with the charging socket the laptop won't charge, it'll still work on mains as the main 19volts or so is carried on the inside & outside on the outer part of the connector.

Do you have another PSU you can try to rule that out ??

Brian