On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 at 01:01:29PM -0000, Vic wrote:

> > Li batteries have good charge densities but don't last that
> > long unless they are charged and discharged evenly (apparently).
>
> It's even more complicated than that...
>
> Li batteries suffer permanent degradation with time. The rate of
> degradation is increased with heat and with charge.
>
> So it would be reasonable to assume that it is best to keep a Li battery
> discharged, and then charge it just before it needs to be used. And that
> would be wrong; Li batteries that go into deep discharge die immediately.
>
> I've given up on trying to keep them running. I just buy el cheapo units
> from China and expect them to last somewhere around a year.

The strange thing is I have old Li-Ion Dell cells that are over a
decade old but function perfectly today. The modern Li-poly ones,
especially the cheap ones don't last at all.

As you say running them hot isn't good for them, my old Dell was
always pretty cold. Running them on full charge isn't good for
them or fully discahrging them which can be fatal.

My mistake was running it full almost all the time and letting it
run warm. It wasn't discharged enough and it got hot too often...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
        -- anon