On 4 December 2011 21:40, John Cooper <l...@discoverlinux.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/12/11 21:24, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>>
>> I now have a Blu Ray drive for my Linux machine.
>> DumpHD does not work on any modern titles due to an out of date host
>> private key.
>> MakeMKV does seem to work, but it is a binary blob and not open source
>> and you have to pay for it past 30 days trial.
>

> Probably best to buy the license and then run it though handbrake
> (http://handbrake.fr/) to create an mp4
>
> http://crackednoodle.com/2011/01/blu-ray-ripping-linux-how-to/

makemkv has many good features.
1) Lossless
2) has a command line only version so I can script it.

I still have a gripe regarding makemkv.
It makes requests off to the internet and gets responses. I have no
idea what these requests are for, and what data is sent or returned.

I have therefore started reverse engineering makemkv.
What I have found so far is very interesting, but I have not got to
the bottom of it yet.
Basically, makemkv does not bother with processing keys and host
private keys, it somehow gets the job done without needing them.
For example, makemkv does in fact contain some processing keys, but
only has them up to mkv v10. I can place a mkv v20 blu ray disk in and
makemkv has no problem playing it.