Well I for one am glad that's been clarified, Keith.
TYVM
:-)

Tony Wood
   from Linux Netbook
   Ubuntu 11.10

On 22/12/11 21:28, Keith Edmunds wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:17:07 +0000, aecl...@candt.waitrose.com said:

real
people using GNU/Linux operating systems.
Nobody outside geekdom uses GNU/Linux: they use Linux. I've been using
Linux since 1993, and working with it on a daily basis for more than ten
years. The only people I have ever heard refer to the operating system as
"GNU/Linux" are pedants. Nothing wrong with being a pedant, of course:
I've revelled in the role for years. Part of being one is accepting that,
by definition, you don't see things the way others do (or possibly you
feel differently about them), or in other words you differ from the norm.

The norm, in this case, is to refer to the entire collection of software,
including the kernel (one component), the GNU bits (a minority of
components) and all the non-GNU bits (the majority), as "Linux". Right or
wrong, justified or not, that's reality.