On Friday 23 December 2011 19:53:35 Jack Knight wrote:
> On 23 December 2011 17:46, <hants...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Friday 23 December 2011 11:12:10 Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> > > On my recent birthday, I rejoiced at being told that I'm only 21
> > > Celsius!
> >
> > Sorry to be dim, Chris, but are you saying that 21 Celsius is the same
> > thing
> > as 70 Fahrenheit?  Getting that far has taken me a mere 7 hours!  Yes, I
> > suppose you are.  But that took arithmetic.  21 Celsius makes sense.
> > Many people, I know, use Fahrenheit.  But does it make sense to anybody??
> > :-/
> >
> > Lisi
> >
> > I hate to say this, but maybe  LMGTFY ?

I did.

> actually - save the journey:
>
> 21 Degrees Celsius × 9 ÷ 5 + 32 = Degrees Fahrenheit (69.8°F)
>

> 7 hours?

7 hours to realise that that was what he was on about.  I did the arithmetic
in my head at the point when I realised it.  I just don't think in
Fahrenheit, which is why I couldn't make out what a moderate temperature had
to do with his age.

> 7 seconds - and I'm 34 - sorry, I really should say 0x34 ;^)=

Yes, but you knew what he meant.  Transferring Centigrade to Fahrenheit, and
vice versa, is easy, a mere matter of arithmetic.  Knowing that that is what
is needed is quite another matter, and I didn't get the joke.  I neither
think in nor understand Fahrenheit except for the human body temperature, and
I had to learn that to be able to read a thermometer when in this country.

References were made to "a certain age".  I am 45 (hex).  And I can't think
in, and do not think of, Fahrenheit.  It makes no sense at all to me, where
Centigrade is logical and comprehensible.  The important thing in this isn't
so much how long you have lived, as where you have done that living.

Lisi