On 30/12/11 11:32, Keith Edmunds wrote:
On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:09:38 +0000, li...@fractal.me.uk said:

I'm going to do a reinstall of my home server which currently runs
debian stable. I want to put a more up-to-date distro

What problem are you trying to solve?

The main problem is that some of the audio/video encoders seem quite out-dated in comparison to my desktop. This manifests itself in (among other things) my tv box being unable to play back video encoded on my server correctly. (I don't have this problem when it's encoded on my ubuntu desktop though.)

The other problem is that there appears to be a bug in acpi which causes it to reboot rather than shutdown frequently.

Also, the root hdd is dying which prompted me to think about a re-install, and therefore investigate more up-to-date OSs.