shorewall too. sorry for two replies phone is having a fools day

Sent from my HTC

----- Reply message -----
From: "Chris Dennis" <cgden...@btinternet.com>
To: <Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Subject: [Hampshire] Portable linux firewall
Date: Sun, Apr 1, 2012 7:00 pm

Hello folks

On another well-known operating system beginning with 'W', there are
security programs such as AVG and Kaspersky that include a firewall.
When running on a laptop, these programs detect when you've connected to
a new network and ask you whether or not it's a trusted network so that
they can set firewall rules appropriately.

I've been unable to find equivalent software on Linux.  I'm looking for
something that the average home user can cope with, for example someone
running Ubuntu on a laptop.  Ubuntu has ufw (and its gufw front-end)
which allow setting up rules for a trusted local network such as
192.168.1.0/24.  But what if they then connect to a friends's network,
or a network in a cafe/hotel etc., which may by chance have the same
address range?

Has anyone come across something that deals with such situations?

cheers

Chris
--
Chris Dennis                                  cgden...@btinternet.com