On 01/04/12 19:00, Chris Dennis wrote:
Hello folks

On another well-known operating system beginning with 'W', there are security programs such as AVG and Kaspersky that include a firewall. When running on a laptop, these programs detect when you've connected to a new network and ask you whether or not it's a trusted network so that they can set firewall rules appropriately.

I've been unable to find equivalent software on Linux. I'm looking for something that the average home user can cope with, for example someone running Ubuntu on a laptop. Ubuntu has ufw (and its gufw front-end) which allow setting up rules for a trusted local network such as 192.168.1.0/24. But what if they then connect to a friends's network, or a network in a cafe/hotel etc., which may by chance have the same address range?

Has anyone come across something that deals with such situations?

cheers

Chris
Chris I have a similar project...... I'll be looking into this FYI stonewall/gate whatever they're called once sold industrial strength firewalls in a lil box (for a credit card processing system) for about 10k a piece...... their tech showed me the software guts, it was iptables IIRC with a cool overlay.

Wahhhhhhh!!!!