On 28/04/2012 11:17, Leo wrote:
Aha, I think I've got it! Just found this line in dhcpd.conf:
log-facility local7;

So I changed the rsyslog rule to local7.*, rather than a :msg one and it's started working. Although I'm now curious: how would I combine the two, i.e. log to dhcpd.conf if the message is on local7, and if it contains "dhcpd:"?

(I did the same thing for some JBoss logging I was handling - it was easier to force it to be local5 than to enforce particular and unique strings!).

To handle either case, just send both streams to the same file - send local7 to dhcpd.log followed by &~, then send "dhcpd" messages to dhcpd.log and &~.

Is the ":msg,contains" problem that the dhcpd tag is followed by the PID then the colon? If so, the ":programname,isequal" fix I suggested should work better.