*4* GPUs? Wow - I take it you've some funky vehicle or aircraft simulator
running?

Anyhow, just thought I'd follow up and say thanks for all for comments. I
ended up getting a Core 2 Duo E6850 with an aBit I35-Pro mobo. The Zalman
CPU cooler is fantastic and the PC is just a quiet hum in the background
just as these things should be. My GPU has a heatsink, no fan so I guess
thats lucky.

A little OT but I also plumped for a 64GB SSD and am trying Ubuntu 12.04
with Unity (!) as my main desktop. From Grub hand-off I get to the login
screen in about 5 seconds :-)

I was intruiged by the "remote desktop"/VNC/SSH forwarding style
suggestions and will maybe try them out as an experiment.

Thanks again guys.

On 2 May 2012 20:53, Samuel Penn <s...@glendale.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday 02 May 2012 09:31:02 Brad Rogers wrote:
> > No-one has mentioned water cooling.  Very quiet indeed.  Can be a scary
> > prospect for some, but it does work.  AS has been mentioned though, once
> > you've eliminated the loudest noise (usually the CPU fan), you start
> > hearing other things;  GPU fan, drive motors....
>
> Heh. If you think the CPU fan is the loudest noise, you haven't heard
> a gaming rig with 4 GPUs... :-) The loudest noise in my study (which has
> three running computers in it) is my GF's video cards in the next room.
>
> (But then admittedly, if you're going for something quiet, you're
> probably not looking at a box with 4 graphics cards).
>
> --
> Be seeing you,        Games: http://www.glendale.org.uk/
> Sam.                  Posts: http://www.google.com/profiles/samuel.penn
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)