On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 15:18:17 +0100
Ian <l...@grody.me.uk> wrote:

> Windowmaker. Has stayed the same for many blue moons. No frills,
> faffing or fiddling.

Ah! Windowmaker, my favourite UI for many years and it was only
the complete lack of development that induced me to switch to
Debian's  default (Gnome) when I moved from 32 bit to 64 bit hardware
and had to do a new install for the first time since switching to Debian
from RH.

When Gnome3 came along and I found it unusable I tried out xfce and
lxde and it was, I think, lxde that I liked best, partly because it
had a windowmaker feel in having menus pop up with a left click on the
desktop.

When I used OS/2, before switching to Linux, I'd purchased an
alternative desktop from somewhere (I just found the original
licence - ObjectDesktop) and that gave lots of reconfigurability that
wasn't in the basic Warp. I was quite surprised to get an email from
the supplier a couple of years back asking if I wanted an
update.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server