On 04/07/12 11:03, Chris Liddell wrote:
This is where I can't follow his lead. To my way of thinking phone,
tablet, POS, PVR, desktop and probably others are totally separate use
cases which demand *very* different things from the user interfaces.

I agree! I don't think you'll see the same unity on tablets/phones as you see on Desktops. Maybe something 'inspired' by the same UI and using the same underlying guts, so developers can 'write once'.. yeah yeah, we've all heard that before I know :) We can hope.

I feel that those disparate uses should have, at most a subtle, "arm's
length" influence over each other.

True enough, but there's certainly some merit in having commonality in some components for familiarity sake. Similar ways of accessing settings, or sharing content for example. Rather than having to re-learn the way to do it for 3 different devices from the same vendor.

It's certainly a challenge!

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope