On 04/07/12 10:19, Alan Pope wrote:
> ( snip _
> Mark Shuttleworth:
> (snip ) We had to leave a lot of friends behind
Cutting away at your user-base ?  How very wise that is .....
> Mark Shuttleworth:
> It was tough to lead ( snip ) We had done very well just shipping the
> best of FLOSS, but it clearly wasn't enough. ( snip ) we found
> industry politics blocked us ( snip )
So, now we know why Unity -- it's hardware-driven -- greed to capture
the i-Pad, & similar devices + Android, etc. internet phones.
The software house isn't in the driving seat, after all.  " Follow the
money " ..
> Mark Shuttleworth:
> ( snip) Unity ( snip) was in large part designed to make the tablet /
> desktop convergence
Just as I thought ..
> Mark Shuttleworth: ( snip ) there's a limit to how far you can go if
> you only appeal to people who are grumpy about change, though, because
> then you either have to maintain the old, or introduce new change
> yourself.
Without polling your users.  They'll take whatever they're given.  Just
drive right on ahead, & fill up the vacuum behind you, with appeals to
sympathy, on account of how tough it was to lead, what with having to
inflict all that change, on the unwilling, poor you ..

> Mint said they would maintain Gnome2, then stopped. Then said they
> would offer Gnome Shell Extensions. Then forked Gnome Shell. It's all
> good and OK, but I think it gets more difficult over time unless you
> commit to a vision and drive it. And I don't know what that vision is.
But now we know what /your/ vision is: out with the old, in with the
new; at any price.  Drag 'em all behind you, willy-nilly.  They'll all
get used to it !

> Cheers,
Indeed