> This happens on both a 32 bit OS, a 64 bit OS.  I have tried machines from
> 2
> GB to 16 GB of memory and the problem with video and sound still occurs
> after
> 18 minutes.
>
> The video uses a 480x640 picture on a USB webcam.  The sound uses
> microphone
> and eaphones connected to a sound card.
>
> I am using pulse audio.  I have found that skype on some OS's needs the
> gnome-
> volume-control to be open before I can get any sound.
>
> Any suggestions on how to increase my video and sound time would be much
> appreciated.

We also observed problems with Skype recently, as packaged by the Software
Centre in Ubuntu 12.04 (I think this is version 2.x). It would stop working
after about 20 minutes. We would restart and then get a "problem has
occured with Skype" prompt after a little while.

Sorry, I have no suggestions other than to try Skype 4.0 [0] which was
released recently. Did you also get problems with Skype 4.0? I have yet to
try it on the laptop where the original Skype problem is.

Ubuntu 12.04 appears to use PulseAudio (at least, thats what I saw as the
sound device in the Skype settings). AIUI there are two major sound
architectures in Linux: ALSA and PulseAudio. Another experiment might be to
try ALSA instead of PulseAudio [1]? I didn't get that far so I would be
keen to hear if that improves the matter.

[0] http://blogs.skype.com/linux/2012/06/skype_40_for_linux.html
[1]
https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA10964/Can-I-change-the-sound-system-used-by-Skype-for-Linux

--
GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live
forever.” - Indian political and spiritual leader Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)