On 6 February 2013 18:22, Rob Malpass <li...@getiton.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi all****
>
> In short – do I need to reboot to force ufw to apply any changes I’ve just
> made?

no, you don't - see below.

> I’m playing around with ufw on my Ubuntu box which is now my media
> server.   I’m trying to get it to connect with my Netgear NeoTV underneath
> my tv but seemingly only disabling ufw entirely works.
>
> The Neo either refuses to see the box (and can’t connect directly i.e.
> can’t connect to anything it doesn’t see) or sees the machine but then asks
> for a username and password (which aren’t required to connect to the same
> samba share from Window$ boxes).
>
> What I need to know is does
>
> sudo ufw enable
>
> do everything I need after I’ve changed rules.   It seems I need to reboot
> the Ubuntu machine and or the NeoTV each time.   I’ll worry about the Neo
> thing last but if should (for example) be restarting samba, restarting
> networking or restarting something else, it would be great to know – I’ve
> not seen anything to this extent on the web.

ufw enable

turns the firewall "on" for now and subsequent reboots until ufw
disablehas been issued.

adding rules using:

ufw allow to ssh

or other more complex rules, will immediately add the allow rule in the
relevant place in the firewall iptables provided you have already ufw enabled
the firewall. I.e. it is instantaneous and does not require either a reboot
NOR re-activating using ufw enable or ufw disable; ufw enable. In short, if
you're not manually editing the iptables but leaving everything to ufw,
then you should not need to flush the rules via a reboot or iptables -F.

I hope that helps :-)

As to why the neotv isn't seeing the samba server - this may just be that
you've omitted to allow one of the multitudinous (*insert rant here*) ports
required for windows networks to operate.

--
Daniel Llewellyn