I also realized there is probably nothing Google can do. I will start
doing something like "select message > filter these > from: domain >
send to bin"

There is a chance this will be too strict but I don't think I want to
do business with a company that cannot verify email address ownership
properly. Most are from US/Canada anyhow :-)

A surprising number of the emails do not have "how to unsubscribe"
footers/links, maybe the laws over that side of the pond are more lax?

On 4 March 2013 17:36, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 March 2013 17:25, Imran Chaudhry <ichaud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As subject, I have been getting someones else's email on my Gmail
>> address for some years now. I put this down not only to PEBKAC but
>> also to GMail ignoring the "." in email addresses.
>>
>> I have managed to curtail a lot of these after recently getting in
>> touch with the car dealer who was sending me emails about "my brand
>> new BMW". He managed to get in touch with the miscreant - who seems to
>> be another "ichaudhry" in Canada. I think it also helped that I
>> mentioned the sensitive mails from Chase Manhattan bank, new baby
>> advice newsletters, medical conferences (the other ichaudhry seems to
>> be some hotshot surgeon) and suchlike I was getting on his behalf.
>>
>> Honestly, here in 2013 you would think websites and businesses had
>> figured out how to verify ownership of email addresses but not so.
>>
>> However the final straw is that I'm now getting his pizza delivery
>> orders (also from Canada) and I thought it's now time to do something
>> about it.
>>
>> Has anyone else been in this situation and what did they do to counter
>> it? I'm kind of hesitant to contact Google as I perceive no conduit
>> for regular users to complain unless you're a paying customer (eg.
>> Google Apps for Business).
>>

> Same thing happens to everyone at some time.
> I keep getting invited to some social group meetings at some
> university in the USA.
> They simply mistype the email address and it gets to you instead.
> Nothing you can do about it, except try to contact the person and ask
> them to stop making mistakes in future.
> I just put them in the junk folder and move on.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk

GPG Key fingerprint = B323 477E F6AB 4181 9C65  F637 BC5F 7FCC 9CC9 CC7F
http://about.me/imranchaudhry