Thank for all your comments. I've tried the CF card SSD and it's no
better. It gives an hdparm -t figure of about 20M compared with 50M
for my internal drive so predictably it takes longer to start up, but
I'd hoped that faster random access might give an overall improvement.
Sadly it's actually slightly worse even in normal use :-(

That was the fun experiment so got done first! Now to the more boring
steps of finding out what's causing it to lag. Thanks for pointing me
to iotop. I'll report back.

ATB, Peter