On 13 March 2013 21:57, Paul Stimpson <p...@stimpsonfamily.co.uk> wrote:

> >Maybe a good cheap quiet boot device for an Openelec media player
> >though?
> >(assuming the media files are on a server somewhere else in the
> >house...)
> >

> An OpenElec machine will keep its database and all the downloaded movie
> and album art on the boot volume so you do want something quite spritely if
> you don't want the GUI to be chunky. I got a 64GB SanDisk SATA SSD from
> Novatech for mine for about £40.

The DB can be anywhere (I share a MySQL DB between three XBMC boxes at
home), and with a little fiddling, so can the artwork. And if, as he says,
it's only "slightly worse", it won't be clunky...
But yeah, given the price of a 32GB CF card against a 'proper' SSD hard
drive, there doesn't seem to be much sense in setting out to build with
that. But if the bits were all spare in a box, I'd not hesitate to use them.