Hi all

Another question demonstrating how out of date my knowledge is.

Just bought a new mobo but forgot that the case into which I'm putting it
has a perfectly working DVD-ROM ide drive.   The mobo has no such legacy
connector.   To be honest, I don't particularly need the dvd drive and have
installed the os from a pen drive but to get the DVD back up again - what's
the best approach here?

1) Get a sata dvd drive - slightly defeating the object!

2) Get an IDE controller card.   If so, anyone know how easily these things
integrate with Linux?   Being so low level I'd assume it would work "out of
the box" but you never know.

3) I've seen IDE to SATA adapters for about 7UKP but as this is parallel to
serial (isn't it?) would there not be driver issues here?

4) Get an IDE to USB adapter - but I can't see a usb socket on my new mobo
so presumably the data cable would have to come outside the case to connect
to a usb socket wouldn't it?

Sorry this is all a bit old hat for most of you - but I'm loathe to chuck
away perfectly working hardware.

Cheers

Rob