On 13/04/13 20:01, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> My daughter's 21st is nearly upon us and she has told us that she
> would  like a new laptop.
>
> We were idly browsing some in PC World today and it became apparent
> that they were all shipping with Windows 8.
>
> Ellen is a Linux Mint user and would like to continue to use it on her
> new laptop, but I have heard that our normal MO, squashing Windows
> into a much smaller partition and then installing Mint on the back
> end, isn't an option.
>
> ( snip)
> Sean

Hi Mate

For a free, non-commercial, home-use version, go
http://neosmart.net/Download/Register/1

Download EasyBCD Community Edition 2.2.0.182

http://download1uk.softpedia.com/dl/8449bb6db829626c2b3142f4b6f6c237/516af966/100045820/software/system/EasyBCD%202.2.exe
*http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-postdownload.php?p=45820&t=5&i=1

*Main page: http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

This dual bootloader, is certified to work with M$ Vista/Win_7/Win_8 ( =
a Cloud implementation - hence it resides on a M$ Server on their own
proprietory WAN somewhere ) & Linux, or any flavour of BSD, or other
UNIX eg. SUN/Oracle Solaris 10 ( 11 is a Cloud version ! )

EasyBCD allows you to create a multiboot environment in order to run
multiple operating systems on the same computer. The application also
features BCD (Boot Configuration Data) Backup / Repair utilities that
provide users with the possibility to reset the BCD configuration or to
recreate and repair boot files.  The software features a well-organized
interface, as each function gets its own section. You can get an
overview of the current settings on your computer, the installed OSes
and their order. Changing their names and their position in the list is
as easy as pressing two buttons.
When it comes to tweaking the current boot entries, you can change the
Safe Mode type or you can limit Windows to use only a certain number of
CPUs. Furthermore, you can choose to run the OS in Kernel-Debug Mode or
in SOS/Verbose-Boot Mode.  EasyBCD allows you to adjust the time that
needs to pass until the default OS is booted (after a given number of
seconds) or you can disable this timeout completely and set it to wait
for user input.  New boot entries can be added (of Windows, Linux, or
Mac) from any external devices, while you also have the option of
creating a bootable media from a certain partition. Experts can rely on
EasyBCD to reset the BCD of your PC, re-create or repair boot files, and
change the boot drive.   The Useful Utilities section displays several
options, but most of them load Windows' standard tools, such as Control
Panel, System Restore or System Information.   To summarize, EasyBCD
offers users to take full control over the computer's boot menu and to
customize a bunch of boot options. It can be successfully be used to
repair Windows installations and to backup the bootloader.

*Here are some key features of "EasyBCD Community Edition":*

· Boot into XP/Vista/7/Ubuntu/OS X and more!
· Boot from USB, Network, ISO images, Virtual Harddisks (VHD), WinPE,
and more!
· Repair the Windows bootloader, change your boot drive, create a
bootable USB, and more!
· Rename entries, set default boot target, change BCD timeout, hide the
boot menu, and more!
· Create your own custom boot sequence, hide drives on boot, backup and
restore configurations, and more!

CHANGELOG Page:
http://www.softpedia.com/progChangelog/EasyBCD-Changelog-45820.html

    What's new in EasyBCD Community Edition 2.2.0.182