Interesting escape character; though I think backslash moves around too much
for me personally. (I use a lot of different keyboards!)

I didn't think I was missing anything until I started really using it either!
That's why I ask for screen features that people use that I don't; you
generally don't know what you're missing until someone points it out. When I
was younger I didn't think I was missing much using a heavily modified gEdit
for coding; but now I use Vim and know the error of my ways!

I use splits all the time, mostly for running/monitoring build tasks, workers
and test suites without either having to flick between windows/tabs or having
to give up too much screen real-estate. Shows enough information so that you
know it's working (or not!) without taking up too much space - plus I can zoom
it easily with {prefix}z if I need to see more history at once and it's super
simple to resize/rearrange/set up.

(I've yet to learn emacs - trying to get a decent grip on Vim first! I won't
start a flame war by asking if it's worth it...)