On Mon, 13 May 2013 21:14:11 +0100
Alan Pope <a...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> This doesn't look like a problem on your system, but the fact that on
> sid the 64-bit build of libc6 is currently slightly ahead of the
> 32-bit build. You can see this here:-
>
> http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libc6
>
> 2.17-2: amd64 armhf powerpc s390 s390x
> 2.17-1: armel i386 sparc
>
> Ok, so what this is telling me is that you have a 64-bit system which
> has libc6:amd64 2.17-2 but you want to pull in the latest libc6:i386
> to satisfy the dependency for installing the other 32-bit packages
> (such as libgtk2.0-0:i386) which you need for Acrobat.
>
> I see two "solutions" (well there are many solutions, but the two
> most straightforward):-
>
> 1. Wait for whatever issue is holding up the 32-bit build of 2.17-2
> of libc6.
> 2. Downgrade libc6:amd64 to 2.17-1 so you can then install libc6:i386
> thus:-
>
> apt-get install libc6:amd64=2.17-1
>
> You can also just "simulate" this operation safely with:-
>
> apt-get install -s libc6:amd64=2.17-1
>
> Chances are some other package or two may need to be downgraded also.
> It's only a minor bump so theoretically it should be much to be
> downgraded, and you can do them all in one go with:-
>
> apt-get install libc6:amd64=2.17-1 foo:amd64=1.2.3 bar:amd64=4.5.6
>
> etc (replacing foo and bar with package names and 1.2.3 and 4.5.6
> with the version numbers apt asks for). Again, use -s to simulate to
> see if it will come up with a sane solution.
>
> Once you've done that you'll have libc6:amd64 on 2.17-1 and can
> happily install libc6:i386 version 2.17-1 too.
>
> Note: if you "apt-get upgrade" or "dist-upgrade" (or use equivalent
> tools like aptitude or synaptic to effect the same thing) you will
> end up upgrading libc6:amd64 to 2.17-2, or in fact it may just hold
> that back because you also need libc6:i386 to be held back for the
> acrobat dependency to fulfil.

Thanks Alan, if the libc mismatch doesn't get sorted soon I'll try your
suggestions

> Now we're in a new multiarch world you should be able to install
> individual 32-bit libraries as required. The skew you're seeing is
> the pitfall of running sid I fear.

True, and there have been a lot of upgrades since the release of wheezy
so I suppose it is inevitable things will break. Mostly though sid is
pretty stable in actual use and it doesn't justify its other name.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server