On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Samuel Penn wrote:

On Sunday 25 Aug 2013 21:11:58 Alan Pope wrote:
On 25 August 2013 14:46, Simon Whitehead <liquidigi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23793457
Is any mobile phone worth $625, $675, $695 or $725.

I paid ?429 for my phone nearly two years ago.

I recently spend a similar amount.

At current exchange rates my phone (bought in January) cost me just over $750.

I did consider carefully whether I was willing to spend that on a phone, but in the end decided I was and I don't regret the decision.

Any gadget is worth what people are willing to pay for them,

Absolutely, I use my phone more than I do any computer I own, I'm a low user of calls and txts, it's the smartphone features (PDA/net access/music player/camera/ebook reader etc.) that makes it worth that money and the Edge would have been similar in that respect.

I'm not much of an early adopter, I like to see reviews before I pay out my hard earned cash, but if the Edge had delivered on most of what it promised I would have considered one once they were in production.

and most people end up paying that sort of money for a phone, it's just spread out over two years so they have a very distorted view of the price of a smartphone.

At the time I bough my current phone to get it "free" would have cost 960 UKP over two years (40/month), it's true that for that I would have got a ridiculous amount of minutes and txts that I would never have used, but it's still close to twice the price I paid for the phone.

Not being tied into a two year contract makes it worth buying the phone SIM free IMO.

I agree with you, but it does depend on your usage pattern. I'm paying 10/month currently for more minutes and txts than I use and about the right amount of mobile data. So over the two years I would of been in contract I'm saving several hundred pounds.

However if you make a lot of calls/txts and would be paying 25+/month for them anyway then paying a higher monthly tariff and getting your phone included in the deal can sometimes make sense.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Tony Whitmore wrote:

On 25/08/13 22:12, Tim B wrote:
> Phone+laptop+desktop.  That's a very big claim,  and not one I think can
> be supported, given the widely varied use cases.

It's not specced to be a media workstation or video editing PC, sure. It
would serve just fine as a day-to-day PC though, and has a higher spec
than my media PC, netbook and (almost) my laptop.

My phone (2GB RAM, quad core processor) is at least as well specced as any device I own, and better than most of them.

  Andy