On 2013-11-27 11:36, Chris Dennis wrote:
Hello folks

I'm trying to give a new lease of life to an HP Compaq computer,
previously running Windows XP, with bad blocks on its 80GB SATA disk.

The plan is to install Linux Mint on a new hard disk.

But every disk I've tried (two new ones, and a couple of old ones, all
bigger than 80GB) fails to be recognised by the BIOS.  I can hear
faint buzzes and clicks from the drives -- even the new ones.

If I put the old disk back, the BIOS is happy, and the system starts
(but that's no good, because the disk is failing).

It's a limitation of old BIOSes - look for a BIOS update that might address the issue. If you can't find one then you might be out of luck...

Tony