On 27 Nov 2013, at 11:36, Chris Dennis <cgden...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> I'm trying to give a new lease of life to an HP Compaq computer, previously
> running Windows XP, with bad blocks on its 80GB SATA disk.

some systems have a sata legacy mode which can cause issues. also if the new
drive is SATAII or SATAIII you may experience problems on 1st generation  SATA
I controllers.  however I’ve never had any issues, with SATA versions but i
recently had an issue with the legacy mode on an old dell (2004).

(if its that old your probably better putting an IDE(PATA) in instead)