I abandoned NAS a long time ago as cost in-efficient.

The way I go now is to use a SATA drive caddy - cost £12 to £20 and use
Samba.

Hard disk size.  Your choice.

the following will detect and mount the drive caddy disk.

#!/bin/bash
ls /dev/sd?
for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/scan
do
  echo "- - -" >> $i
done

/sbin/sfdisk -s
ls /dev/sd?

The first line of output is what is already mounted
The second line will give you what is mounted plus the new hard disk

The following will unmount the disk when changing it.
#!/bin/bash
if [ $# != 1 ]; then
  echo "Synopsis: stopsata.sh <drive>"
  exit 1
fi
export DRIVE=$1
for i in $(mount | grep ${DRIVE} | awk '{print $1}'); do
  echo Unmounting $i
 umount $i
done
echo Powering down ${DRIVE}
echo 1 >> /sys/block/${DRIVE}/device/delete
echo You may now safely disconnect the drive

example: sudo ./stopsata.sh sdc