On Thu, Nov 06 at 05:03, Paul Tansom wrote:
> I am currently suffering a phone outage and major drop in internet connection
> speed, to less than a half of the decidedly average usual speed. Having sorted

You're lucky.
Kingsclere has an "area fault" No phones, and broadband that is up either 0%
or 100% on a random basis. More 0% than 100%.

Estimated fix 6 days away.

> Are they really that difficult to get hold of? Does anyone know of a local
> supplier? I've nothing against getting one from a small business (I am one
> myself and an FSB member), but the descriptions on Amazon leave me without the
> confidence that it is the part I am after - most are for ADSL not FTTC/vDSL it
> seems.

>From Amazon I've brought, NTE5a 2011/12 socket, vDSL Intersitial plate
and an ADSL Faceplate, for about 20 quid total.  All was good quality and
OpenRetch or Broken Telephones branded.  There was some obvious knock offs
that I avoided.  If you've already got the socket anything you fit is your
problem and you don't have to use BT parts.  In fact last time BT visited
the house the man said that BT's jurisdiction ended at the grey junction
box outside the front door.  Fortunately that was where the corroded wire
was to be found.

--
        Bob Dunlop